In my internetian wandering I ran across this article on Asexual News called "Maybe it's Time to Stop Trying to Link Asexuality and Feminism", my first response was, who's trying, the links are obvious, but apparently not so much.
The first problem with this article is that it seems to conflate sex positive feminism with all feminism everywhere. While sex positive feminism may currently be the most dominant critical stance in contemporary feminism (especially on the internet), it's pretty epically far from the whole megillah. I find the critique that (despite the fact that sex positive theory states that all people should be free to do or not do whatever they wish sexually, which theoretically makes space for asexuals) sex positive spaces tend to be unfriendly towards asexuals and asexuality in practice to be valid, but that doesn't mean feminism as a whole has no value to the asexual community.
My main criticism of this article is that it displays a fairly superficial understanding of what consitutes a feminist issue. Anyway that's the only way I can see coming to the conclusion that "Asexual issues and feminist issues rarely intersect". Feminst issues are not restricted to equal pay for women, access to birth control*, and similar issues. Radical feminism examines the ways in which patriarchy structures everything about how sex, gender, and sexuality function in society. One of the fundamental assumptions of patriarchy is that men are supposed to sexually use women, who should always be available for sexual use in ways deemed acceptable by men. Or, as Catherine MacKinnon more succinctly put it in Toward a Feminist Theory of the State : "Man fucks woman; subject verb object." Anyone failing to conform to this rule, men who fail to fuck women, women who fail to make themselves available for fucking (which includes taking an active or initiatory role in sex, as well as refusing it), or individuals who are not easily categorized "man" or "woman", are punished in various ways and to various degrees. How is that not extremely relevant to asexuality and asexuals of all genders?
The next paragraph contains misogynist slurs and brief discussion of an article subtly advocating corrective rape, skip to the following paragraph if that would be too disturbing for you
You can read just one example of how this functions by googling "Beta Of The Month: Asexual Purgatory" (I refuse to link directly to that article and up said dirtbag's search result rating or end up backlinked to that article). In that article an asexual woman is accused of being a heartless, man-eating, castrating bitch for not sleeping with here boyfriend, who is depicted as a weak psuedo-man whose only hope of gaining back any self-respect (and full access to male privilege) would be to rape his girlfriend, who would, of course, inevitably enjoy it. The comments section contains further discussion of the worthlessness of any woman who won't "put out".
In conclusion, feminism is fundamentally about oppression along gendered and sexual lines. Asexuals inherently face such oppression because not having or wanting sex is considered aberrant behavior under patriarchy. One doesn't have to "try" to link asexuality and feminism because an understanding of feminist theory shows they are already connected.
*Although, as an asexual woman who uses birth control to prevent uterine fibroids, I would like to point out that access to hormonal birth control is not an issue only for sexually active women. However I don't appreciate how many on the left having been using women like me to say "hey, brth control isn't just for those slutty bad women; it has medically valid uses". Preventing pregnancy is medically valid ( pregnancy is hard on the body) and women who have sex deserve access to birth control just as much as women taking it for non-contraceptive reasons.
I love your footnote here, such a perfect negotiation of the way that asexual (and other) experience is appropriated to make other arguments.
ReplyDeleteI clicked the link to that "Maybe it's time..." article and was amused to see that male asexuals feel their voices are being silenced. Is that a thing? Last time I checked (and I was doing research for an article) male asexual voices were the only ones I could find platformed from within asexual community.
Or do they just mean that male voices are being silenced in feminism? Y'know, feminism, the women's liberation movement... :P
I think it's a case where women being prominent voices is mistaken for or read as female dominance. Of course, from most prevalence studies I have seen women make up about 60-70% of all asexuals, therefore actually women would have to make up most of the visible asexual community for there to actually be gender equality. So women make up a substantial portion of the asexual blogging community, but I don't actually think that can be considered "silencing" of men as there is no pressure to prevent them from participating. I guess the short answer, is no, that isn't really a thing.
Delete